Ok, so Russians are kind of paranoid about home security. The doors all have four locking mechanisms, so you have to turn the key four times to get in or out. In most of these buildings, there are some apartments that share a big safe outer door, and then have two inner doors to different apartments. Livi has one like this. So. I went over to Livi's today, we were all going to do homework and hang out together. Lindsay was arriving, and Livi and I started to leave the apartment to go meet her. We walked out the first door into the antechamber without any of our stuff; we figured it would be a short trip. Livi locks the door behind us, turns around, sticks her hand in her pocket for the keys to the outer door, then looks at me with a horrified wide-eyed stare. We were trapped!! Livi had left her keys inside! She immediately starts freaking out, "I can't believe I did that! What are we going to do! I'm so sorry! What's Lindsay going to think? Oh God, I'm going to throw up." I'm trying to remain calm, to reason how we are going to get out of this mess. I say, "It's ok, it's an adventure. We will laugh when we tell this story." I try wiggling the handle of the inner door, hoping the lock will pop out. No luck. I try seriously yanking on the door, willing something to give, but no luck. Livi spotted a loose wire on the doormat, so we pried that off and straightened it, and then attempted to pick the lock. Again, no luck. I think those doors are built to be unpickable. About this time (maybe after 15-20 mins?) I was noticing a lack of fresh air. I looked again at the outside door and saw that it was pretty much all sealed up around there. I thought there were gaps, but no. Now I had to worry about air! I thought, "We are going to suffocate in this vestibule because Russians are too good at security." And because Livi's neighbor appeared not to be home. We had knocked before. Livi knocked very loudly again, out of desperation, and a wish to not have to shout "POMOGI MNE!" Luckily, she answered!!! We explained in very broken terms our situation, and she invited us in to sit in her living room. She thought we would just wait for Livi's parents to get home, but then we had to tell her that they were at the dacha. She went, "Ohhhh." She went downstairs to talk to someone, because she didn't have the mobile number for Mama Lena. Eventually she returned and explained that Livi's host sister Nastya was walking from her apartment to come open the door. We were saved!!! We thanked everyone profusely for going to so much trouble for us, and then sat in Livi's room trying to calm our nerves. First we had to call Lindsay and explain why we never responded to her calls or came outside. She thought we must have gotten carbon monoxide poisoning. Once that was all straightened out, we popped open our cans of watermelon cocktail and grapefruit gin and tonic and took a few deep breaths.
TODAY'S LESSON: Never EVER leave your house without your keys and a phone. Also, learn how to pick locks.
What is slightly disturbing is that Lindsay thought you had carbon monoxide poisoning and DID NOTHING ABOUT IT!
ReplyDeleteWe have the same background and names for our blogs hahaha!
ReplyDeleteIt's great to get details like this of life in Russia. Four locks makes NY in the 80s seem care-free. Good luck with the lock-picking.
ReplyDelete