Friday, September 10, 2010

Holodets

The one thing I hoped I'd never have to eat in Russia was meat jello, which I have discovered is called holodets. This first week I never heard anything about it, but last night I sat down to dinner and my host mom brings this bowl out of the fridge and sets it down in front of me.  As soon as I saw it, I knew- this was meat jello.  The family was very interested in my reactions to this new food substance.  The kept urging me to try it.  I asked, "Is it tasty?"  They just said, "Well, just try it!"  Meanwhile my host sister Marina was digging in, scooping up large pieces of gelatin and chicken.  So, I dipped my fork in and took a bite.  My eyebrows went up in surprise, because it is actually not bad!  The chicken was really good, at least.  I told the family that I was surprised that it was tasty, because I'd heard of it before and thought it would be nasty.  I would still much rather have the chicken on its own rather than suspended in gelatin, but at least now I know I can eat it, and that  it's way better than lutefisk.
I told my host mom that I was thinking of buying new shoes because my tennis shoes are "not beautiful."  And nobody wears them.  So Marina took me shopping yesterday, and I got some real Russian heeled shoes.  They are not ridiculous heels, but higher than I've ever worn before.  And they were more expensive than any shoes I have bought before!  $70, or so.  I said that seemed expensive, but Marina said it's a very normal price.  Her husband Lyosha bought some shoes recently for $150.  They pay a heck of a lot for clothes and shoes here, which is odd, because the food is so darn cheap.
We have found the perfect cafe to go to after school and drink coffee- called Black Continent.  It is the coziest little place, and not too expensive.  I had some delicious coffee there yesterday that had peppercorns in it!  I found this out when I drank the last bits from the cup and unpleasantly discovered that the crunchy bits on the bottom were not bits from the sugar/honey lump I put in, but peppercorns.  This cafe also has great ice cream, including cheese flavor.   We saw this on the menu and thought it must mean cheesecake, or something.  But no, it was really cheese flavor, including little bits of cheese in the ice cream.  It was surprisingly good, but sooooooo strange!
I now have internet on my laptop.  I bought a mobile modem for $20, and have internet for no extra money all the way until December!  WOOT!

1 comment:

  1. I wish there was a new blog entry to read. Everyday I check and it still says "Holodets". Sigh.

    ReplyDelete