Friday, September 3, 2010

Here I am!

So far, everything's good.  I have a really nice family that has hosted Oles before, so they are pros.  They know just how slow to talk, and are very good at synonyms when I don't know a word.  I have my own room with a TV!  I am always being fed.  When I am in the kitchen it's constantly, "Will you have tea?  Cheese?  Butter?  Jam?  Sour Cream?  Sauce? Compote?"  The food's pretty delicious.  There are fresh home-grown tomatoes, cucumbers, and apples from their dacha.  And my host mom makes really good juice from their home-grown strawberries.  I have a family with a Dad, Mom, daughter and her husband, and the son lives a couple minutes away in another apartment building.  I have the only real bed in the apartment, everyone else sleeps on foldout couches.  I suppose there isn't much comfort difference between them.  The Mom likes to eat mayonnaise in her soup.  I can't imagine that being good.  Some of the family speak a little English, and they are so cute trying it out and trying to remember how to say things.  Today we were shown around the center of the city, which is pretty far from where I live.  It was just as I remember from January, but way less cold!  There were four weddings going on inside the Kremlin today.  And it's not even a very nice day!  The brides kept having to hold up their dresses from the puddles.  I haven't given the family their chocolates yet, because Livi told us to wait to give them their gifts.  Maybe I'll give those tonight.  I hope the bourbon balls are good. 
Hopefully sometime this weekend we'll get to go shopping so I can buy an alarm clock and a cell phone.  And some new tights.  The first time I wore these nice blue tights, and they get a run!  I'm so bad at tights.  I should just stock up on wool ones.  Those are sturdier. 
It's going to rain some more.  My family says it's supposed to get nicer on Sunday.  That would be nice. 

1 comment:

  1. I love to read these posts, you should probably write a book when are you back. Curtis wants to know if you found the glue factory. So you aren't needing the peanut butter, it sounds like. Send us your address--we can copy and print it! Did you take any pictures of the weddings? Will you post some pictures pretty soon?

    We went to the Gasthof today. Yummy. The weather has turned beautiful, but we desperately need rain.

    We blew up Coke Zero with Mentos this week for library class. I have seeds growing that the little kids planted and the middle kids played with the pop bottle tornado. Next week: the science of popcorn!
    Take care and keep us posted!

    ReplyDelete