This week we've been having double classes- two of the same class in a row. It's horrible! The days seem to drag on and on. We have a new history class that I would like very much if it wasn't for 2 hours at a time and we did something other than sit and listen to the teacher talk at us. We never have to actually respond or anything in that class. It's a struggle to stay awake, even though I really like that teacher and she talks about interesting things.
I asked my host family for help on my homework the other day for our "Learn a few obscure words" class, and they were very surprised at the things we were being asked to learn. "What? These are very complicated words! No one uses these unless they are a translator for political people!" And here we are being asked to learn that a word that literally means "to puzzle, confound, take aback" is actually used to mean "give work" in political dealings. AND we're asked to figure out the idiomatic meaning from the context of one sentence. We aren't given direct translations. So much fun!!!
In other news, registration is not going my way. I thought I could take a purely fun class because I had an entirely open spot in my schedule. But NO! Every class I wanted to take either conflicted with a class I actually needed to take, or was so sought after that I couldn't get into it, even as a second semester senior. In the past, seniors could get into whatever class they wanted, but in the sake of fairness the powers that be changed the way that system works. It's not fair to ME! No King Arthur, Archery, Photography, or other interesting classes, mostly because I have to take Women's Studies. And I have to make THAT my first choice or else I won't get into it. So now I'm taking Teaching English Grammar, and Weight Training instead. I figure those will actually be useful. Plus the teaching one is only half of the semester!
Little Vanya my host nephew seems to have taken a liking to me. Today when he arrived the first thing he asked was where I was. Then he wanted to play with me in my room. He took my hand and led me to where his toys were. The most frustrating thing is that it's incredibly hard to understand anything he says, and he is constantly asking me questions. Everything anyone says to him he always asks, "What? Why? How? For whom? Which?" And each of these questions sounds the same when he says it. I had to try and explain my camera battery charger to him today. It was hard because I don't know any of those words. I just said, "Battery, like this, here. Then...here. Ta Da!" He just kept saying, "Чо?" which is the bumpkin way of asking , "what?" Luckily his grandpa arrived and he was distracted.
It's been raining a lot lately. Why won't it just SNOW!!!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment